Business Office

Unpaid Student Accounts

Liability for Charges

Once you have enrolled at Washburn University you are responsible for assessed tuition and fee charges, subject to the tuition refund schedule, even if the class(es) are dropped.

  • Any outstanding account balance becomes due and payable when you have completely withdrawn from a term.
  • Having tuition charges removed from your account does not necessarily mean there will be a refund. In fact, if withdrawal from one or more classes results in having financial aid removed as well, you may owe a balance.
  • If you are considering withdrawing from one or more classes, be sure that you understand all financial implications before withdrawing.
  • The University reserves the right to refund any credit balance arising from dropped classes back to the credit card used to pay for them.
  • If you withdraw from one or more classes, it may be necessary to return all or a portion of the Title IV financial aid (e.g. loans) received for the term, as required by Federal regulations. That means if you received excess financial aid you will have to repay Washburn University for a portion – or all – of that amount.

Paying Past Due Student Accounts

Arrangements to pay unpaid balances may be made by contacting the Business Office.

Failure to pay outstanding student account balances, or make a payment arrangement though the Business Office, on a timely basis will result in the initiation of collection activities: including, but not limited to:

  • Warning letters sent to the most recent address on record
  • Telephone calls to the most recent phone number(s) on record
  • Placement of the balance with the Kansas Debt Recovery System (Setoff program). Use of this system will result in additional fees being charged to you.
  • Placement of the balance with one or more collection agencies. This action may mean additional fees will be billed to you.

Washburn University wants to work directly with you to resolve a past due balance before collection agencies are involved. The Business Office will make every effort to contact you if you have an unpaid balance. However, it is your responsibility to make payment arrangements.