Did you know that federal law protects student privacy? The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) exists to protect each student's right to privacy and to provide each student the right to inspect and review his/her education records. A notice of this policy is published each semester in the Registration Information Guide. FERPA means Washburn can't share information about you beyond your directory information unless you say so.


Students' Rights

Your rights include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • You can see and review your academic records
  • You can take steps to have errors in your records corrected
  • You can file a complaint if you think Washburn University has violated your privacy rights granted under FERPA
  • You can stop the University from sharing your directory information

What is directory information?
Your name, photo, current address and phone number, permanent address and phone number, email address, classification (freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior), major field of study, dates of attendance, awards and academic honors, enrollment status (full-time, half-time, less than half-time), most recent school attended (high school, or if you transferred), clubs and activities you're involved in, and for student athletes your height and weight.

Who can see that information?
Unless you tell Washburn they can't see it, any member of the public or organization could request your directory information. If you don't want Washburn to share your address, phone number or email, say so on MyWashburn at the Update Campus Directory Profile link on the Students tab.

If you don't want Washburn to share anything about you, contact the University Registrar’s Office at the phone number or email address below for information on how to make that change. And if you don't even want your name in the graduation program, you can say so on the Application for Degree form.


Releasing Academic Records

FERPA says Washburn (or any other college or university) can't give out information about you or your academics without your permission.

Your Parents
You can talk with your parents all you want to about your academics but Washburn can only share information with them if:

  • You have given written consent (including your signature)
  • You are listed on your parent’s or parents’ tax return as their dependent and Washburn has that information on file

The Government
Some governmental agencies do have a right to your records without your consent. Also, a judge could order your records be shared without your permission.

Washburn Faculty and Administrative Staff
The University can release your records, without your written consent, to particular University officials who have a legitimate educational interest.

back to top button