Washburn University Office of Sponsored Projects
Mission and Services
The Office of Sponsored Projects promotes and facilitates the acquisition of external funding to support Washburn University programs, projects and related activities. The Office of Sponsored Projects provides resources and assistance to faculty, staff and administrators to foster project ideas, locate funding opportunities, strengthen grant writing and research skills, develop grant proposals, and to comply with applicable approval and compliance requirements.
To achieve this mission, the Office of Sponsored Projects is committed to the following responsibilities:
- Work with University departments and personnel to foster grant interests and ideas, and promote faculty/staff involvement with grant activities and proposal development.
- Research and collect information about government and private sources of funding, including application guidelines and/or requests for proposals.
- Develop and maintain a database of external grant proposal submissions and awards to provide a wide variety of informational reports.
- Work closely with the Finance Office (and other appropriate offices) to coordinate internal grant proposal approval activities and to ensure standardized grant administration activities for funded programs.
- Coordinate grant activities with the Finance Department, University faculty/staff, Institutional Review Board (IRB), and other units as appropriate to ensure that projects are consistent and compliant with the University's mission and priorities.
- Organize information and develop training programs, including a grant resource library and website, to enhance the campus community's grant seeking skills.
- Individual consultation on any aspect of the grant process.
- Training, workshops, and literature pertaining to grant funding, writing, development, and administration.
- Analysis and interpretation of compliance related issues, rules, and regulations.
- Project-specific grant funding research.
- Access to grant resource library.
- Proposal assistance, including:
- Time analysis for application preparation
- Narrative and proposal development
- Budget preparation and review
- Editing and review
- Ensuring compliance with University and funding agency guidelines
- Securing required campus approvals
- Identification and assembly of certification and insurance
- Final grant preparation and mailing (electronic or mail)
- Follow up after submission
- Award management, including:
- Financial reporting on federal awards
- Subaward contract preparation
- Audit compliance