Washburn University Institutional Review Board (IRB)***NEW: Beginning July 1, 2012, all faculty, staff, and students conducting research that involves humans must complete all six (6) IRB training modules PRIORto submitting an IRB application.***
The Institutional Review Board (IRB) is a committee established according to federal regulations and charged with the protection of human research subjects. All research involving human participants must be reviewed and approved prior to the initiation of research, including the recruitment of participants. No exceptions.
The purpose of an IRB review is to assure, both in advance and by periodic review, that appropriate steps are taken to protect the rights and welfare of humans participating as subjects in the research. To accomplish this purpose, IRBs use a group process to review research protocols and related materials (e.g., informed consent documents and investigator brochures) to ensure protection of the rights and welfare of human subjects of research. Guidelines for human subjects research and a description of the IRB are in the faculty handbook.
The IRB application process is purely electronic. Applications submitted to the IRB should be sent via email from the faculty or faculty mentor's MyWashburn email account to email@example.com. Be sure to include the following with your application, if applicable:
- consent form(s)
- letter or email of approval from authorized individual if the study is being conducted outside Washburn University
To Self Register for the IRB course, navigate to your Desire2Learn homepage. This can be done by selecting the My Home link on the upper left anywhere in D2L.
- From the homepage navbar, select Resources, then Self Registration from the drop-down menu.
- Under Self Registering Course Offerings, select the link for IRB (Institutional Review Board).
- Under Description, select Register.
- Under Registration Form, your first name, last name, and email will populate the corresponding fields. Select Submit.
- Under Confirmation, select Finish.
IRB Chair (effective July 1, 2017):
Cynthia Wooldridge, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Psychology
IRB Administrative Assistant:
Administrative Specialist, Academic Affairs
- Jerry Farley, President - Washburn University
- Nancy Tate, Associate VP - Academic Affairs
- Cynthia Wooldridge, Faculty - College of Arts and Sciences (CHAIR effective 7/1/17)
- Kara Kendall-Morwick, Faculty - College of Arts and Sciences
- Rebecca Meador, Faculty - College of Arts and Sciences
- Rodrigo Mercader, Faculty - College of Arts and Sciences
- Dan Petersen, Faculty - School of Applied Studies
- Kayla Waters, Faculty - School of Applied Studies
- Kim Harrison, Faculty - School of Applied Studies
- Tom Hickman, Faculty - School of Business
- Brenda Patzel, Faculty - School of Nursing
- Marian Jamison, Associate Dean - School of Nursing
- Shirley Waugh, Faculty - School of Nursing
- John Francis, Faculty - School of Law
- VACANT - Student Reviewer
- VACANT - Student Reviewer
- April Terry, External Reviewer