St. Fidelis Catholic Church,
in Victoria, KS, is visable to the south of Interstate 70 highway.
Made from 17 million pounds of native Fencepost limestone between
1908 and 1911, it is a well-known site.
Victoria was settled by
Russians and by Englishmen,
who named the town after their queen.
The English were not particularly
interested in the harsh life on the plains. They were more interested
in chasing rabbits and coyotes across the prairie in the manner
of an English hunt. They eventually lost complete interest in
farm life in Ellis County and went back to England.
The sturdy German-Russian
stock who came here prospered, however. The pride of current day
citizens of Victoria is evident in the good care their church