Degree Works FAQ

About Degree Works

What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is a web-based tool used to monitor a student’s academic progress toward degree completion. It combines WU’s degree requirements with the courses a student is currently taking, has taken in the past, and plans to take. It produces a snapshot of the progress a student is making in fulfilling their degree requirements.

What are the benefits of using Degree Works?

Degree Works will help you:

  • Create a “degree audit” to determine what requirements you need to complete in order to earn your degree.
  • Confirm which courses you have taken or transferred and see which ones fulfill requirements or count as electives.
  • View waivers and exemptions applied toward your degree.
  • See how your coursework could be applied toward another program of study using the “What If” feature.
  • Estimate how many semesters it will take you to graduate.
  • Learn the prerequisites and co-requisites for courses by clicking on the course numbers.
  • Calculate your GPA for the current term and learn how to achieve your desired overall GPA using the “GPA Calc” feature.

What is a degree audit?

A Degree Works degree audit is a review of a student’s past, current and “planned” coursework combined with the requirements of the degree the student is currently seeking. The degree audit matches courses the student has taken with the requirements to give the student an overall picture of their academic progress and what requirements are outstanding.

Can I access Degree Works on any computer?

Yes. Access to Degree Works is through the internet. You can use any web browser (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer).


  1. Log into MyWashburn (
  2. Click the Student Academics tab
  3. In the Academic Advising section, in the center of the screen, click the Process degree audits (2016-17 catalog and beyond) link. 
    (Note: Students with a catalog year prior to 2016-2017 should use the Process degree audits (Catalogs PRIOR to 2016-17) link.)
  4. Login using your Washburn email address and password


  1. Log into MyWashburn (
  2. Click the Faculty tab
  3. In the Faculty/Advisor Self-Service section, on the right side of the screen, click the Degree Works Advising Tool (2016-17 catalog and beyond) link. 
    (Note: For students with a catalog year prior to 2016-2017, use the CAPP Advising Tool (Catalogs PRIOR to 2016-17) link.)
  4. Login using your Washburn email address and password

Is my information confidential?

Yes. Degree Works is accessed through your MyWashburn secure login. Advisors, faculty, and selected staff will also have access for the purpose of supporting your progress through your academic career. Your Degree Works audit is part of your Education Record and is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). As with any other personal information that you access on-line, you should be sure to logout of your account and close all application windows before leaving a public computer.

Who has the ability to access Degree Works?

Currently, students with a catalog year of 2016-2017 and later can use Degree Works. Students with a catalog year prior to 2016-2017 should use CAPP.

How current will my information be in Degree Works?

The information in Degree Works is refreshed each night. Any changes made during normal business hours (e.g. grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in Degree Works the next day. Contact your advisor if you have any questions.

Can I register for classes in Degree Works?

No. Degree Works is a snapshot of courses in-progress, planned, and in your academic history. Registration will continue to be handled through logging into your MyWashburn and adding/dropping classes.

Is Degree Works a transcript?

No. Degree Works is a tool used to create an unofficial audit of how your coursework applies to the requirements of your degree program(s). It is used to assist you and your advisor in the planning and tracking of your degree progress. Your transcript is still your official university record.

Can I see how many classes I have left to fulfill my requirements?

Yes. A Degree Works degree audit is laid out in a block format (sections). It shows the requirements for your degree program(s). The legend along the left side of the audit, and at the bottom, shows how you can identify which requirements are incomplete, in-progress, complete and more.

Are my grades visible in Degree Works?

Yes. Once grades have been processed at the end of the semester, they are viewable in Degree Works following the nightly refresh. However, though grades are viewable in MyWashburn once posted by an instructor, final grades are not available in Degree Works until after the final grading period for WU has ended. In-progress courses are listed in Degree Works with a grade of “IP”.

Can I see a list of all of the classes I’ve taken throughout my academic history?

Yes. While in the degree audit, click the Course History link located near the top of the audit. This will produce a printable list of courses taken at WU as well as transferred courses taken within the same level (undergraduate or graduate). Please note this is not an official transcript; just a class listing.

How does Degree Works determine which set of degree requirements to use?

Degree Works uses a student’s catalog term to determine the degree requirements in place at that time. These requirements are used to produce the degree audit.

What is a catalog year?

A catalog year is the academic year that a student becomes an active student at WU. The catalog year identifies which requirements are in place at that time for the student’s desired degree. Students can opt to change to a more recent catalog year if they prefer those requirements, but they have to use ALL requirements for the catalog they choose (university, degree, and major).

What do I do if I believe my information in Degree Works is incorrect?

Contact your academic advisor.

How can I update my information?

If you have any questions about your student record, coursework, or the Degree Works program, contact your academic advisor.

I’ve tried to access Degree Works but it doesn’t seem to work.

Make sure the pop-up blockers are turned off in your internet browser or try a different web browser. Contact your academic advisor if you still have trouble accessing Degree Works.