Law Enforcement Responsibilities
Washburn University Police Department has all the responsibilities and authority of any law enforcement agency. These include:
- Patrolling campus parking lots and buildings on foot, on bicycles or in vehicles.
- Enforcement of state laws and city ordinances, including traffic ordinances, on campus.
- Investigate criminal activity and complaints and make arrests when necessary.
- Enforce university parking regulations and keep streets and parking lots unobstructed.
- Investigate motor vehicle accidents on campus.
- Respond to fire and burglary alarms.
- Respond to medical emergencies on campus
WUPD also provides several services that are only available to individuals while on campus. These include:
- Assisting vehicle owners locked out of their vehicles
- Assisting vehicle owners with jump starts of their disable vehicles.
- Providing safety escorts.
- Providing a law enforcement presence at sporting events.