New Student Information

Frequently Asked Questions

About the application process

About life on campus

The application process

Where do I go to apply?

Apply online or visit the Office of Admissions in 114 Morgan Hall.

What is the application deadline?

Washburn accepts applications on a rolling basis.  You should apply well in advance of the semester you would like to begin taking classes.  Apply by February 15 for fall scholarship consideration.  

What are Washburn's admission requirements?

Admission requirements vary for freshmen, transfer students, and returning students

What is a "first time user" considered?

First time users are students who have not submitted an application for the term for which they are applying. 

What is the difference between degree-seeking and non-degree seeking?

Non-degree applications are for the following students:

  • Current high school students who want to enroll in Washburn University courses
  • Students who wish to audit a course
  • Students who wish to take a course for credit, but are not seeking a Washburn degree
  • Students enrolling in the 65 audit program

Non-degree seeking students are ineligible for financial aid.

Degree seeking applications should be completed by:

  • Freshmen
  • Transfer students
  • Students returning to Washburn after a semester or longer
  • Graduate students
  • Any student who wishes to take courses toward a Washburn certificate or degree
  • Any student applying for financial aid

What is my high school code?

Your high school code is found by navigating the drop-down list on the online application and choosing your city, state and high school.  If you cannot find your high school on the list, please call the Office of Admissions at 785-670-1030.

Where do I send my transcripts?

Washburn requires official transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions.  We must receive transcripts in a sealed envelope.  Unofficial, faxed copies of transcripts will not complete your application for admission.  Please mail or hand-deliver your sealed transcript(s) to:

Washburn University
Office of Admissions
Morgan Hall, Room 114
1700 SW College Ave. 
Topeka, KS 66621

I submitted my application, but it does not show up in MyWashburn.  Did it go through?

Your application may take at least 24 hours to appear on your MyWashburn account. If you are unable to see your application after 24 hours, please contact the Office of Admissions at (785) 670-1030.

I forgot my application PIN.

If you have submitted your application, you are no longer able to access your application with your PIN.  If you have NOT submitted your application, call the Office of Admissions at 785-670-1030.

Do I have to pay the application fee when I submit the application?

We recommend paying the fee at the time the application is submitted.  If you do not have a credit card or debit card, choose the “pay with check” option in the drop-down menu.  You can then either pay by check or cash in person at the Office of Admissions or by check through the mail.

 When will I know whether I have been admitted?

Evaluation of your admissions file will begin when your file is complete.  You can check the status of your application by logging into your MyWashburn account.  Approximately 7 days after a decision is made on your application, a letter will be sent to your current address.  To update or change your address, please call 785-670-1030 or log on to your MyWashburn account.

I applied for the wrong term.  Can you switch it to the right term?

Yes.  Call the Office of Admissions at 785.670.1030. 

How can I check to see whether my file is complete?

You can check on items in your admissions checklist by logging onto your MyWashburn account or calling the Office of Admissions at 785-670-1030.

 I am a returning student.  Do I have to submit a new application?

Yes.  Applications at Washburn University are term-specific, and a student's information must be updated with a new application if he or she took a semester or more off.

I am currently attending WIT.  Do I have to submit a Washburn University application to take courses at Washburn University?

Yes.  The admissions processes for Washburn University and Washburn Institute of Technology are separate and require separate applications.  For information about the WIT application process, call 785-273-7140.

Where can I find this semester's course offerings?

On the course schedule.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Apply for financial aid by filling out the FAFSA.  For assistance, call the Financial Aid Office at 785.670.1030.

 How much are tuition and fees?

Discuss tuition and fees with an admissions counselor by scheduling a campus visit.  To arrange the visit, call 785.670.1030.  You can also find tuition and fee information online. 

Where do I apply for housing?

Speak to an admissions counselor for information about living on campus.  You can also visit Residential Living's homepage or call 785.670.1065. 

What is an Ichabod?

In 1868, Ichabod Washburn, an industrialist who made his fortune manufacturing wire for hoop skirts and barbed wire fences, donated $25,000 to Lincoln College to keep it from closing.  The same year, the school changed its name to Washburn College to show its gratitude.  In 1905, a newspaper reporter called Washburn's football team "the sons of the Ichabod," and the Ichabod has been Washburn's mascot ever since.  In 1938, famed graphic designer and Washburn alum Bradbury Thompson gave us a visual representation of the Ichabod.  Thompson said that the mascot's "brisk walk" shows his "courage and enthusiasm. . . . He is democratic and courteous, for he tips his hat as he passes.  Sincere in his search for truth and knowledge, he studiously carries a book under his arm." 

Life in the residence halls

How are meal plans designed?
Each meal plan includes both Dining Dollars and Bod Bucks.

ICHABOD Dining Dollars Account:  Your ICHABOD Dining Dollars are your key to unlocking the flavors and experience of ANY campus dining location. Designed exclusively for Washburn students, your ICHABOD Dining Dollars are accessed through your iCard. This works like a debit card, every time you make a purchase in a Washburn dining location, the purchase amount is deducted from your ICHABOD Dining Dollars account. Money from your ICHABOD account will carry over from fall to spring semester, but not from year to year. If your Union Market account begins to run low you can add additional dollars at anytime through the Ichabod Service Center.

Bod Bucks Account:  Bod Bucks are discretionary dollars that can be spent for a number of great services at Washburn. You can use your Bod Bucks at the Corner Store, Libation Station, The Union Market, Concessions, University Bookstore, Ichabod Service Center, residence hall laundry facilities and much more. Like your ICHABOD Dining Dollars Account, Bod Bucks are also accessed through your iCard, and works just like a debit card. However, Bod Bucks remain active as long as you are enrolled at Washburn University.

What to do when your Dining Dollars get low? Each time you make a purchase using your Dining Dollars, your balance will be displayed at the register.  If your Dining Dollars run low, you may add additional Dining Dollars at any time by visiting Ichabod Service Center.

How are room assignments made?
Room assignments are made based on a first come first serve basis. The current residents of any room have the first right to the room for the next academic year, followed by students returning to campus, followed by new students coming to campus.

How are roommates assigned?
Roommates are assigned based on the preferences of the residents in the room and on occupancy needs. If the residents request each other as roommates the Residential Living Staff will do everything with-in their power to accommodate those requests. If the residents have not requested a particular roommate, roommates will be assigned based on the information cards that the residents fill out with the contract.

What if I don't get along with my roommate?
At the beginning of each academic year the residents of each room will be asked to fill out a roommate agreement contract, designed to open communication between the residents about typical issues that cause trouble between roommates. If the roommates have issues during the year, the residents will be asked to take steps to reconcile the relationship, first with mediation by the student staff member, then a second mediation by a professional staff member. Following the mediations, if the issues still exist, a room change can be discussed at that time.

What if I lose my room key or access card?
If you lose your iCard, room key, or mailbox key you need to let the Residential Living Office know as soon as possible. You will be able to get temporary keys in the Residential Living Office and you will need to obtain a new iCard from the Ichabod Service Center in the Memorial Union.

What should I do secure my stuff?
Locking your door every time you leave the room is necessary to make sure that your property is always safe. Also lock your doors when you go to sleep in your room. Discuss the door policy with your roommate and suitemates to decide when or if you will ever have the main door open into the hall.

What kind of phone service is available?
You will need to bring your own phone and phone cord to gain free local phone service for the Topeka area. Long distance calls can be made with the use of a phone card. Your room phone number is the number that Washburn faculty and staff utilize to contact you.

What are the bathrooms like?
Every suite/apartment on campus has its own bathroom. The bathrooms will have a toilet, sinks and a shower. You will never be asked to share a bathroom with more than three other people. Cleaning of the facility is the responsibility of the residents.

Can I bring extension cords?
Extension cords are not allowed in the residence halls.  It is encouraged that residents use surge protectors.

Can I store boxes, luggage or other extras on campus?
All the items that you bring to campus will need to be stored in your personal room. Any items left in common areas will be removed at the student's cost.

Will my room have wi-fi?
Wireless is available in every room and common area in the residence halls.

Will my room have cable?
Every room is standard cable ready. Residents need to provide their own TV and cable cord. Residents are not allowed to contact any outside contractors to obtain a different cable package or additional services.

May I bring my own furniture?
You may bring your own furniture, but you cannot remove any items that are already in the room.

May I bring my bike?
You may bring your bicycle, but we ask that you store it on one of the bike racks that are outside of the facilities. It is encouraged that you also bring a lock to secure your bike.

Can I bring my pet?
The only pets allowed in the housing facilities are fish.

Where will I eat?
The Stouffer Commons is located on the west end of the Memorial Student Union. Every student who lives on campus is required to have a meal plan.

What if I get sick?
If you are sick or injured and need to see a doctor. You may go to the on campus health services, which is located in Morgan 170.

What if I'm stressed and need someone to talk to?
If you need someone to talk to about your problems, the first stop can be your RA. If they feel they are not the best option for you, they know resources to give you; one option is counseling services provided by Washburn. The Counseling Center is located in Morgan 123.

What size sheets will I need?
Every bed on campus has a standard twin mattress.

Can I bring window coverings?
Each room has window blinds, but residents may put up their own window coverings as long as they do not do any damage to the facility or are considered inappropriate by the Residential Living Staff.

Can I smoke in my room?
Every facility on campus is smoke free, and smoking is not permitted within the building.

Can I have alcohol on campus?
Washburn University is a dry campus and alcohol is not permitted, even if you are over 21.

My question wasn't here, who can I talk to?
If you did not see your question, or if you are not clear on the answer to the question, feel free to call the Residential Living Office at (785) 670-1065, email the office at or stop in the office, which is located in the main lobby of the Living Learning Center.