Vacancy - Director of Bands
(Recruitment Number 390114)
Washburn University's Department of Music invites applications for the position of Director of Bands beginning August 2014. This position is a ten-month, tenure-track appointment as Assistant Professor. A completed doctorate is necessary for tenure-track appointment.
- Doctorate in music degree and extensive conducting experience; ABD applicants will be considered.
- Demonstrated excellence in wind ensemble conducting, athletic band experience, and teaching.
- Public school conducting experience.
- Experience with recruiting students at the university level.
- Serve as Director of and Coordinator for the Washburn University Wind Ensemble and the University Concert Band.
- Oversee all band activities, including the WU Marching Blues, the WU Pep Band, and youth wind programs, such as the WU Summer Music Camp and the Topeka Youth Wind Ensemble.
- Teach music courses assigned to fit the successful applicant’s qualifications, including courses in conducting. Candidates with a secondary area of musical expertise will be strongly considered.
- Application review will begin February 5, 2014 and continue until the position is filled. Send application letter, vita, a recent dvd (20 minute minimum) demonstrating rehearsal and performance footage, copies of transcripts and name/addresses/phone numbers of 3 references to: Dr. Chris Kelts, Director of Bands Search Committee, Washburn University, Department of Music, 1700 SW. College Ave., Topeka, KS. 66621 (do not send additional materials until requested). Only hard copy applications and application materials will be accepted. For questions, Dr. Kelts may be contacted at: firstname.lastname@example.org. The successful candidate will be required to submit to a background check prior to hire. To enrich education through diversity, Washburn University is an EOE. Candidates from under-represented groups are encouraged to apply. www.washburn.edu.