Counseling Services

Counseling Services Staff:
Pictures of Counseling Services Staff 2014-2015

Back row: Lindsey, Jamie, Jovanna Front row: Crystal, Michelle

Contact Counseling Services:

Stop by Henderson 111 Monday-Friday between 8:00-5:00pm to make an appointment or call 670-3100. *No appt needed on Wednesdays, walk-in hours are from 8:00-4:00pm.

Commonly Asked Questions

What is counseling?

How do I know if I need counseling? College life can be very stressful and overwhelming. Sometimes you can handle these stresses on your own, at other times you may need assistance.  Anything that is of concern to you is a legitimate topic to explore with a counselor.  If you are feeling depressed, anxious or extremely distracted, counseling may be helpful. Needing help at times is normal; asking for help takes courage. Putting off seeking help may dramatically effect your grades.

How much does it cost?

It is free to use Counseling Services as a currently enrolled student (full-time or part-time..or even just enrolled in one hour).  

Can counseling help me develop more effective study skills?

Counseling Services also provides help with time management, test anxiety, and determination of your personal style of learning. 

What happens in a counseling session?

Sometimes students shy away from counseling because they don’t know what to expect. At Counseling Services, you’ll find a safe, non-judgmental environment where you can speak privately yet openly about your thoughts and feelings. The counselor can help you gain insight into your concerns and explore options for change. Decisions about possible solutions to your concerns, however, are yours to make. 

What if I don’t want anyone to know I’m seeing a counselor?

Confidentiality is taken very seriously by the counseling staff. Only you have the right to tell others that you are speaking to a counselor. All members of the counseling staff are ethically and legally bound and committed to maintaining your privacy. There are exceptions to information held confidentially which will be explained to you during your initial counseling session. 

What if I need medication to help me?

Counseling Services works very closely with Student Health Services in situations in which a student may need medication.  We also make referrals to psychiatrists or psychiatric nurse practitioners as needed.

What if I think I may have a drug or alcohol problem?

The counselors at Counseling Services are not certified as drug and alcohol counselors.  However, if you are wondering if you may have a drug or alcohol problem, please make an initial appointment with Counseling Services so we can help you with a referral to a drug and alcohol center.