Alumni Association scholarships
Established in 1944, the Alumni Association scholarship fund has generated revenue for thousands of Washburn students.
For the 2016-17 academic year, 56 students received more than $33,000 in scholarships (scroll down to see the recipients). Special consideration is given to children of alumni, returning alumni and students who are members of the Washburn Alumni Association.
Applicants must be Washburn alumni or a legacy student. Recipients must use the scholarships at Washburn Universty or Washburn Institute of Technology. If the applicant is a current Washburn student, he/she must be a dues paid student member of the Alumni Association, which is $10 per year.
Note: Filing for assistance through Washburn’s Financial Aid Office does not constitute your application for an Alumni Association scholarship. You must file a separate online application through the Alumni Association. A separate copy of your unofficial transcripts must be provided to the Alumni Association, even if copies have already been provided to the university for the admissions process.
Online applications for the 2017-18 school year will be available beginning Dec. 1, 2016 through Feb. 15, 2017.
Please read the criteria below and then use the link to apply by Feb. 15, 2017.
- Applicants must be Washburn alumni or Washburn legacies. What is a legacy? An applicant is a legacy if he/she has a parent(s), sibling(s), grandparent(s), or a spouse who is either a graduate of or is attending Washburn University or Washburn Institute of Technology (Washburn Tech).
- Applicants must re-apply each year for the Alumni Legacy Scholarship.
- If applicant is a Washburn graduate and is enrolled or is enrolling for graduate classes at Washburn, he/she must be a current dues paid member of the Alumni Association. *Membership must be finalized prior to the scholarship deadline.
- If applicant is a legacy student, his/her alumni parent(s), sibling(s), grandparent(s), or spouse must be a current dues paid member of the Alumni Association. *Membership must be finalized prior to the scholarship deadline.
- If applicant is a current Washburn University student, he/she must be a current dues paid student member of the Alumni Association. Student membership rate is $10 per year. *Membership must be finalized prior to the scholarship deadline.
- Washburn Tech students, incoming transfer students and incoming freshmen are not required to be student members of the Alumni Association.
- College applicants must be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours at Washburn University and have a minimum cumulative college GPA of 2.5. Part time students enrolled in 6-11 credit hours are eligible to receive half the scholarship amount awarded to full time students.
- High school applicants must plan on enrolling at Washburn University or Washburn Tech for the fall 2017 semester and have a minimum high school GPA of 2.75.
- High school applicants must be seniors entering Washburn University as freshmen in the fall of 2017.
- Applicants must complete and submit the alumni scholarship online application by Feb. 15, 2017.
- In addition to the online application, you must provide the following to the Alumni Association by Feb. 15, 2017:
- A biographical statement that includes your educational background, financial need, a statement of goals and objectives for obtaining a college degree or technical certification and other pertinent information (250 or fewer words). Email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A copy of your unofficial transcript from one of the following: Washburn University, Washburn Tech, the college or university from which you are transferring or the high school from which you will graduate if you are a high school senior about to enter Washburn as a freshman. If you have completed a semester or more at Washburn, you can use my.washburn.edu to get a copy of your unofficial Washburn transcript.
- To ensure your transcripts and biographical statement are able to be viewed, please do not use a shareable format such as Google Docs. If a standalone copy of the transcript cannot be downloaded, it typically works best to copy and paste the transcript into a Word document, save that, and then attach the resulting file to an email sent to the Washburn Alumni Association.
- A separate transcript must be included with your application materials. The Washburn Alumni Association does not have access to transcripts previously submitted to the office of Admissions or the Financial Aid office.
- All application materials must be received by the scholarship deadline (Feb. 15, 2017) for consideration.
- Scholarships will be disbursed in two equal payments, one half in fall 2017 and one half in spring 2018.
- Submitting a scholarship application does not constitute a guarantee of receiving a scholarship. Please note, applying for assistance through Washburn's Financial Aid Office does not constitute your application for an Alumni Association scholarship. You must file this online application through the Alumni Association. You will receive a confirmation email upon submission which will verify receipt of your online application.
If you meet the above criteria, use this link to apply by Feb. 15, 2017.
- Gabriel Altenbernd
- Justin Bates
- Karli Benson
- James Bunting
- Elyssa Carr
- Kaitlinn Chase
- Emily Clanton
- Jenessa Clare
- Kaylie Collins
- Mariah Cook
- Samuel Cox
- Kole Davoren
- Shelby Day
- Carley Elias
- Jordan Farris
- Emili Folster
- McKenna Folster
- Caroline Geither
- John Glynn
- Mariah Grunert
- Quinn Holaday
- Tommy Hunter
- Reagan Jirak
- Alison Johnson
- Lauren Kasprzak
- Matthew King
- Emma Levy
- Tristin Lewis Dierking
- Madison Lysaught
- Heath Martin
- Mary Mayer
- Alexandra McDowell
- Anneleise McEvoy
- Sydney McRae
- Cole Meier
- Mackenzie Moore
- Lydia Palmer
- Brooks Peavler
- Alexia Price
- Augustus Ramirez
- Noah Riley
- Gabrielle Rollins
- Brianna Roush
- Kaylee Snell
- Cori Tate
- Hayley Thompson
- Alexandria Ulsaker
- Estefan valdivia
- Noah Weible
- Marie Wessel
- Cassidy Willsey
- Britnee Zemek
- Andrew C. Johnson
- Caleb Poage
- Xavier Ramos-Dixon
- Madison L. Yohr
More about scholarships
- Scholarships will be disbursed in two payments: one in fall 2017 and one in spring 2018.
- Undergraduate students, graduate students, international students, part-time and full-time students and first-year School of Law students who meet the criteria may apply.
- Alumni Association sponsored events throughout the year help to provide funding for the scholarship program.
- License plates: Purchase a Washburn Ichabod license plate. The proceeds help fund our scholarship program.
- A portion of Alumni Association membership dues are allocated to the scholarship program.
Giving back to Washburn
- LinC: Learning in the Community is one of the signature service organizations at Washburn. LinC works with organizations and agencies throughout the community and state and is quick to lend support in times of need such as the Harveyville, Reading and Joplin tornadoes.
- You can help the Washburn Alumni Association and Washburn University in numerous other ways. Call us at 785.670.1641 or send us an email for more information.