The Washburn University Alumni Association was organized in 1885 to advance the mutual interests of the alumni and the college. The Alumni Association has grown to include more than 3,000 dues-paid members.
Washburn College trustees adopted the school’s family coat of arms as the official crest in 1917. The original coat of arms is traced to the 11th century battlefield knighting of Sir Roger Washbourne by William the Conquerer.
The official crest includes a yellow motto pennant, red flame, silver field of arms and six purple birds on a light blue field. The motto, purificatus non consumptus, translates to “purified, but not consumed.”