English Proficiency Requirement
Students whose native language is not English must meet Washburn's English Proficiency Requirement. Any one of the following can be used to satisfy this requirement.
- English Test Scores
- Undergraduate Students: A balanced iBT score of 72 (18 for Listening and Speaking, 17 for Reading, 19 for Writing, and 14 on writing to pass Grammar), or a balanced score on the IELTS with at 6.0 in each subset.
- Graduate Students: A balanced iBT TOEFL score of at least 80 or 6.5 on the IELTS with balanced sub-scores for students from non-English speaking countries. Please note that certain departments may have higher TOEFL/IELTS requirements. Graduate students without a bachelor's degree at an American institution must take IE294 - Writing for Academic Purposes III for Graduate Students Only during their first semester.
- Complete both Level II and Level III of all the Intensive English courses at WU with grades of "C" or better.
- Complete an Intensive English Program at another U.S. institution comparable to Washburn's program. Washburn's IEP staff determine the compatibility.
- Proficient score on IEP placement test given one week before the fall and spring semesters.
Please also note:
Students who cannot meet these requirements will be admitted conditionally through the Intensive English Program. Certain departments may have higher TOEFL requirements.
Students who cannot meet the above guidelines will be placed in the Intensive English classes by the staff of the program based on their test scores and transcripts. They must fulfill this requirement as soon as possible.
Students who have completed Freshman Composition at another U.S.-based institution are not automatically exempt from Intensive English courses. They may be required to take the reading and grammar courses if deficiency in those areas is determined.