Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) - Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) Online

Frequently Asked Questions

Admission FAQs

  • Do I need to be licensed to enroll in this program?
    Yes, you must have a current unencumbered license to practice as an RN in your state of residence.
  • What prerequisite courses do I need?
    Applicants are to have an undergraduate health assessment course, a research course and a graduate level inferential statistics course with a grade of B or better.
  • How can I fulfill the graduate statistics requirement?
    The Washburn Psychology department does offer PY 510 GA Intermediate Statistics. This course will fulfill requirements. Enrollment in this course requires School of Nursing approval. Contact Mary Allen @ 785-670-1533 or Equivalent statistics courses may be completed at other colleges/universities. Students may submit a course description for evaluation by the School of Nursing
  • How many start dates will there be each year?
    Currently we start applicants in the fall of each year.
  • What is the length of the program?
    The part-time Clinical Nurse Leader track is completed in 3 years.
  • What are the expenses to me?  Books, supplies, tuition?
    There is a $35 non-refundable application fee.  Books are estimated at $150-$500 per semester depending on courses.  Current School of Nursing Tuition rates.
  • Are scholarships available?
    Yes, applications my be obtained at the School of Nursing.  More information on financial aid options and downloadable scholarship application.
  • How do I check my application status?
    Once a student is accepted by the University, the admissions office will send a letter of acceptance.  Status related to the university admission process can be determined by contacting the Admission office at 877.281.BODS (2637) or  
    A letter of acceptance will also be sent from the School of Nursing.  Questions regarding the status of this application can be determined by emailing  
  • Is the Master of Science in Nursing - Clinical Nurse Leader program accredited?
    Yes, the program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
  • I have a copy of my sealed transcripts.  Does Admissions view these as official transcripts?
    No, the official transcripts must come from directly from the institution.
  • Are international students eligible to apply for this program?
    No, students residing outside of the United States are not eligible for this program.
  • Upon graduation, what licensure and/or certification will I be eligible for?
    The Clinical Nurse Leader does not prepare the graduate for eligibility as an APRN in Kansas.

Technology FAQs

  • How do I access my campus email?
    Campus e-mail can be access through the MyWashburn portal, or directly through
  • How do I activate my campus email?
    To activate your account you must have your WIN number and an activation code sent to you by email. If you do not have an activation code, contact the Admissions office (785-670-1030 or 800-332-0291 ext. 1030). You must have your WIN number available in order to be given an activation code. Once you have an activation code, go to MyWashburnDownload more detailed instructions.
  • Do I have to use the University email?
    Yes.  All official communications will go to your Washburn email account.  To make things easier, you can have your Washburn email forwarded to your regular account.
    • From the Office 365 window, click on the Settings "gear" in the upper-left hand corner.
    • Select Options.
    • Under Accounts, click on Forwarding.
    • Enter the email to which you would like your Washburn email forwarded
  • How can I get technology support?
    Information Technology Services (ITS) can help you with general issues. Call 785.670.3000 or email

    Online Education Support can answer your questions about Desire2Learn (D2L).  Call 785.670.2381 or email

Registration FAQs

  • How do I register for classes?
    You can register for your classes through the MyWashburn portal.  Download more complete instructions.
  • How do I pay for my course?
    Students can pay online by electronic check, signature debit card, or credit card.  You may also pay in person, by mail, or by ACH/Wire Transfer.  More information on making a payment.
  • How do I drop a course?
    Before dropping a course, contact your CNL advisor,
  • How do I check my grades?
    Final course grades can be viewed in MyWashburn.  During the course, grades are available in D2L.
  • How do I request unofficial or official transcripts from Washburn?
    Requests for transcripts are made through the Registrar's office.  For more information.
  • Can I take just one or two classes from the CNL curriculum without being fully enrolled in the program?
    Yes. As a graduate student admitted to Washburn University, but not yet admitted to the CNL program, you may take NU-807 Clinical Scholarship EBP.

Coursework FAQs

  • How do I find the books I need for my classes?
    Required textbooks are listed in the course syllabus along with ISBN number.  Most books can easily be purchased using an online vendor such as Amazon.  Customized e-books will be purchased directly from the publisher. 
  • When will I have access to my courses?
    Online courses are made available to students the first day of class.
  • Whom do I contact for questions about assignments and course content?
    Your instructor or teaching assistant can answer these questions.
  • How do I navigate through the course?
    Once you have access to D2L, you can review the student tutorials under the Help link.  
  • If I'm having problems with my instructor, whom do I contact?
    Please contact the CNL program director, Dr. Marian Jamison,  
  • As a student in the CNL online program will I be required to attend live events?
    Course instructors are encouraged to include some type of live component in their classes, but not all of them are required.  If required, they are also recorded to benefit those who could not attend.
  • Are there any on-campus requirements for the MSN-CNL program?
  • Who selects the clinical site and the preceptor?
    The student and faculty collaborate in developing a suitable clinical experience. The student or faculty may recommend appropriate clinical sites and preceptors depending on the objectives of the course and the goals of the student. Washburn University School of Nursing is required have a contract with the clinical agency for students to complete clinical in the agency. Students should ask faculty to verify contracts prior to starting clinical experience. Please allow 6-8 months to obtain a new contract.
  • How many hours per week does a student generally spend on coursework for the CNL program?
    For every hour of credit, students will generally spend 2-3 hours on coursework in addition to clinical hours.
  • What is a "health clearance" and when must it be completed?
    Clearance is required to protect the student and client(s) and to be in compliance with clinical agency requirements. Clearance must be completed each year by August 5th prior to beginning the fall semester. Clearance includes a physical examination including a urinalysis and Complete Blood Count, proof of immunizations and TB testing. Students must show evidence of completion of CPR for the Professional Rescuer or Healthcare Provider and personal health insurance. A criminal background check is required. The student is responsible for expenses related to these requirements.
  • What GPA must I maintain to remain in the program?
    Students must get a B in courses or maintain a 3.0 GPA. Students failing to meet this standard will be placed on academic probation. Details about progression in the program may be found in the student handbook.