Frequently Asked Questions

Additional Questions

What is Junior (Advanced) Composition----EN 300?
This course is the second semester English Composition requirement at Washburn. It teaches writing to assure proficiency in the techniques and tools of composition and offers students the opportunity to order and articulate their knowledge. This course must be an upper division (300-400) course. A second semester freshman, or sophomore composition course will not meet this requirement. This requirement is waived if you have a prior degree.

May I transfer nursing credits from another nursing school?
Yes, if the credits are from an American Association of Colleges of Nursing or National League for Nursing accredited school. We will need to review a course outline/syllabus from all nursing courses to evaluate content for transfer credit.

How many hours will I be in class and clinical each week, once I begin nursing courses?
It varies for each semester, but around 25-30 hours per week.

Will I be able to work during the Junior/Senior year of nursing school?
Many of our students work during their Junior/Senior years. Opportunities will be available to work in area hospitals, nursing homes and other health care facilities, especially on the weekends and holidays. There are many other work opportunities outside the health care facilities in the Topeka area.

Where will I do my clinical rotations?
We utilize over 65 health care facilities for our students. Students will experience nursing in many different urban, rural, acute care, and community health agencies in the Northeast Kansas area.

Will the School of Nursing prepare me to successfully complete the national licensing examination (NCLEX)?
Yes! Our program is comprehensive and you will gain the knowledge for successful completion of the licensing exam. To prepare our graduates for the computerized licensure examination, students complete two exams while completing their nursing coursework. These exams are prepared by a national testing service to assess student's nursing knowledge as they progress through their educational program. Students are tested after the Junior year on content learned to date, and will receive a written evaluation of their performance. We also test midway through the last semester of school, and identify strengths and weaknesses, so students will have a more focused approach in studying for the NCLEX exam. Washburn has sustained an average NCLEX pass rate exceeding the national average.

What type of scholarship funding is available from Washburn and the School of Nursing?
The University awards academic scholarships to qualified freshman and transfer students. To be eligible for these awards, students planning to transfer in either Fall or Spring semester, need to have the WU application on file before February 15. The WU application also serves as an application for these scholarships. These academic scholarships are automatically awarded to qualified students. Further information about these scholarships may be obtained from the Admission office at 785-670-1030.

Students eligible for need-based financial aid are reminded to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the priority deadline of February 15.

The School of Nursing awards several freshman scholarships to academically qualified students. Applications may be requested from the School of Nursing (.pdf) with the deadline of February 15th.

Students who have been admitted to the nursing major may apply for School of Nursing scholarships in addition to any government grants, loans or Washburn University academic scholarship. Students with above average academic records and/or demonstrated financial may apply for endowed nursing scholarship. Forms are available in the School of Nursing office. Deadlines for application for Fall and Spring scholarships are February 15 and October 15, respectively.

School of Nursing Scholarship Application (.pdf)

The School of Nursing partners with the United States Army ROTC to provide nursing education to qualified candidates. Scholarships are available for 2 years, 2 ½ years, 3 years, and 4 years. Upon graduation, candidates will enter the Army as a Registered Nurse and Commissioned Army Officer. For more information about these programs call: 1-785-865-1113

The School of Nursing participates in the Kansas Board of Regents Nursing Service Scholarship program. This scholarship, administered by the Kansas State Board of Regents, awards students $3,500 per year (for up to two years) and is jointly funded by the state of Kansas and a sponsoring health care agency. For each year a student receives funding, the student will provide one year of full-time employment to the sponsoring agency. If you plan to remain in Kansas following graduation, this is an excellent way to have part of your education funded.

You may contact the Kansas Board of Regents@

1000 SW Jackson Street

Suite 520
Topeka, KS 66612-1368

The School of Nursing also keeps a list of outside sources of scholarship funding for nursing students. Please contact the School of Nursing if you have any questions about your eligibility for scholarship funding.

When and how will know if I have been accepted to the School of Nursing?
Fall applicants will be notified of their admission status after mid-February of the year for which they applied. Spring applicants will be notified after mid-September the status of their application. Students will be notified by mail.