Music Education (BM)
Music Education Timetable
- Declare your major by filling out form (Bachelor of Music in Music Education)
- Pass the Rhythmic Perception Exam (RPE)
- Take the “ETS Music Exam” at the conclusion of MU 123
- Complete ED 150 EPIC and ED 200 Educational Psychology
- Pass the 4th Semester Achievement Proficiency Exam
- Take the EN 300 Placement exam
Semester 2 – 5
- Pass the Piano Proficiency Exam (PPE)
Junior Year (Fall)
- Take the “Pre-professional Skills Test” (PPST). See Dr. Hunt for information.
- Take MA 116 prior to this examination. Register 6 weeks in advance. FEE REQUIRED
- Apply for admission to the “Professional Teacher Education Program”
Deadlines: August 1, November 1, April 1.
- Register with WU “Career Services” to begin professional credential file
Prior to Student Teaching
- Apply for Admission to Student Teaching.
- Take the “Principle of Learning and Teaching” (PLT) exam. FEE REQUIRED
- Take the “Praxis II” music content examination. FEE REQUIRED
- Complete senior recital jury and present your senior recital
- Take the “ETS Music Exam”
- Complete your professional credential file with the office of Career Services
Prior to Graduation
- Apply for “Teacher Licensure.” See Dept. of Education for forms. FEE REQUIRED
- File an “Application for Degree” form in the office of the University Registrar at the beginning of your final semester. A student is not a candidate for degree until the Registrar’s office has the form on file. A graduation check will also be completed by the auditors.
Students and/or Advisors can generate an ON-LINE audit at any time
Professional Teacher Education Program
Undergraduate Requirements for Admission to the Professional Teacher Education Program
(See the WU General Catalog section under Education)
- Complete and submit “Declaration of Major” form to Music Department
- File official transcripts of all prior college work with BOTH the Education Department and the Registrar’s office.
- Submit to the Education Department an “Application for Admission” to the Professional Teacher Education Program after obtaining Dr. Hunt’s signature.
- Present an official Kansas State Health Certificate signed by the university physician or other licensed physician.
- The following courses must be completed (or concurrent enrollment) to be admitted into the Professional Teacher Education Program:
ED 200 Educational Psychology (minimum grade of C)
ED 150 EPIC I
All courses in music must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75
General Education Courses (Cumulative GPA of 2.75 required in all Gen Ed courses)
3 hrs EN 101 Freshman Composition (minimum grade of C)
3 hrs MA 116 College Algebra (minimum grade of C)
3 hrs Elective in Science General Education
3 hrs Elective in Social Science General Education
12 hrs Electives in General Education Courses
24 hrs TOTAL
- Achieve a satisfactory score on each of the three sections of the PPST examination. This test is available at WU and via computer format at commercial testing centers.
- Sign a statement in the Education Department about prior criminal activity and submit to a KBI check.
Note: Courses requiring a minimum grade must NOT be taken Pass/Fail
Second Degree Seeking & Licensure Only Students in Music Ed.
All “Second Degree seeking” and “Licensure Only” students must audition and pass a conducting audition before a minimum of two music faculty members in order to be accepted into their respective programs.
Second Degree Seeking Students (from accredited institutions of higher learning): These students must complete all the requirements of the Music Ed. degree, including General Ed. requirements specific to the degree as indicated via a Degree Audit and as outlined in the most current Washburn University Catalog.
Licensure Only Students: These students have met all Gen. Ed. requirements; however, they must complete all requirements of the Music Ed. degree as indicated via a Degree Audit and as outlined on the Individual Professional Education Plan on file in the Washburn Department of Education.