Want to know even more about the School of Applied Studies' 30 year celebration? Contact Mitch Higgs, assistant to the dean, at 785.670.2114Email your question
The School of Applied Studies invites you to celebrate 30 years of education, innovation and career preparation with a special Open House event
Established as a school in 1983, the academic departments within the School of Applied Studies as we know it today have an accomplished history at Washburn University. Consider this:
These women completed the electronic technology program. Today, the School of Applied Studies offers 52 different certificate, bachelor and master degree programs.
Careers for the future for all graduates have long been a focus of the School of Applied Studies. Here, a student meets a prospective employer at the Human Services Career Day in 1988.
The School of Applied Studies has offered state-of-the-industry technology to its students since the beginning. Students graduate our programs job ready. The School has been an innovator on campus regarding instructional delivery as well. The first distance education program offered by Washburn, in radiation therapy, began in 1987. Today, the School of Applied Studies offers more online classes than any other school on campus.
Renovation of Benton Hall in 1991 and 1992 cost $1.24 million. The renovation allowed the building to accommodate additional academic programs. Benton Hall, named for Otis L. Benton, opened in 1923 as a residence hall.
What began as the Office of Special Instructional Programs was established in 1983, in legislation signed by Gov. John Carlin, as Washburn's School of Applied and Continuing Education. The school was renamed by the Washburn Board of Regents in 1992 to become the School of Applied Studies.
Benton Hall began as a residence hall for young women. This 1923 postcard shows the building and accommodations.
After becoming an academic building, Benton was the first on campus to offer a computer lab (1984) and the first to have a wireless Internet connection (2004).
Karl Menninger began teaching courses in Criminology and Penology at Washburn in 1922. A reading room in Benton Hall was named after him in 1982.(Click on his picture to learn more about Dr. Karl from the Kansas Historical Society.)