Getting started at Washburn University
Download a printable version of the checklist
Apply for Admission to Washburn
Obtain a copy of your DD-214
If you do not have a copy of your DD-214, you may order it at the following website: http://www.archives.gov/veterans
(Please contact the Diversity & Inclusion Office for further assistance obtaining your DD-214.)
Complete the Student Application for Federal Financial Aid form located at: www.fafsa.ed.gov
- You may be eligible for other types of financial aid while receiving your Veterans Educational Benefits. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- You ARE NOT required to report federal educational benefits on the FAFSA, such as Montgomery GI Bill, Post 9/11 GI Bill, Dependent Educational Assistance, and Vocational Rehabilitation.
For other financial aid questions please visit Financial Aid at the Student One Stop in Morgan Hall.
Review VA Education Benefit Programs
Determine which program is right for you by viewing the Education Benefit information at: www.gibill.va.gov
Schedule an appointment with the following offices:
Academic Advising, Mabee Library, Room 201, email@example.com or 785-670-1942
- Create a degree plan with a Military-Student advisor (a list of all the courses needed to complete your degree)
- Register for classes
Center for Prior Learning & Testing, Mabee Library, Room 218, firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-670-1227
- Discuss military transcripts and earning credit for military training/experience
- Discuss ways to earn Credit for Prior Learning through DSST and CLEP exams which are funded for qualified military service members
Complete your paperwork
Turn in the following documents to WU Diversity and Inclusion Office, Morgan 105
- Copy of Certificate of Eligibility from Department of Veterans Affairs (this document is mailed to you once your VA benefits application is processed)
- Veterans Information Sheet (completed each semester)
- Degree Plan (created with your Academic Advisor)
Mabee Library, Room 206A
- Connect with other Military-Students on campus
- Find military related resources
Remember, you will have to recertify for your VA benefits at the beginning of each semester through the WU Diversity and Inclusion Office.
If you have questions or need help with the certification process, please contact the WU Diversity and Inclusion Office at 785-670-1622.