Ichabod Notables

Notable Families

Finnup

George W. FinnupGeorge W. Finnup (1866-1937) carried on his father’s business, a store that sold hardware, clothing, furniture and lumber, and became a prominent entrepreneur in Garden City, Kan. He was an officer and stockholder in several banks and many western Kansas enterprises. He bought and sold more than 1,000 quarter sections of land in Finney and surrounding counties, approximately 500 lots in Garden City and more than 10,000 acres in Colorado. He was also a philanthropist, supporting community projects such as libraries, parks, churches, an annual Thanksgiving dinner and spelling contests. Finnup attended one term at Washburn in the fall of 1883. In 1902, he married Alta May Smith, and they had two children, Frederick and Isabel.

In 1977, Frederick (1903-1988), ba 1925, and Isabel (1907-1978) established the Finnup Foundation Trust. Washburn is one of three principal beneficiaries of the Trust, which provides scholarships for high school graduates from southwest Kansas to attend Washburn.

Frederick FinnupIsabel Finnup

Garvey/Fink

Ray Hugh GarveyRay Hugh Garvey (1893-1959), ba 1914, jd 1915, and Olive White Garvey (1893-1993), ba 1914, established a family known throughout the Midwest for business acumen and philanthropy. Ray raised a million-dollar wheat crop, built the first grain elevator in Topeka and the first shopping center in Kansas and established the Garvey Foundation for philanthropic purposes. After his death, Olive took over the family business and charitable foundation. She was a primary benefactor of Washburn’s Garvey Fine Arts Center and KTWU, and her donations helped rebuild the Washburn campus after the 1966 tornado. Washburn conferred an honorary doctor of law on Ray in 1958 and an honorary doctor of humane letters on Olive in 1963.

Olive White GarveyOlive also received the Washburn Alumni Distinguished Service Award in 1990. White Concert Hall is named in honor of Olive’s brother, Elliot White, ba 1924, who received the Washburn Alumni Distinguished Service Award in 1968. He earned a master’s degree in business from Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass., and eventually bought Topeka Transfer and Storage from his father, running the business for 44 years.

Ray and Olive had four children: Willard, James, Olivia Garvey Lincoln and Ruth Garvey Cochener Fink.

Ruth Garvey FinkRuth (1917-2007) supported nearly every major campus project, including the Bradbury Thompson Alumni Center and the Washburn College Bible. She also followed her parents in business endeavors, serving as president and director of CGF Grain Co., Mid-West Industries Corp. and CGF Industries Inc. Washburn honored her with the Reconstruction Campaign Award in 1968, the Founders Day Award in 1969, the Lilla Day Monroe Award in 1991 and the President’s Award in 1995. The University conferred an honorary doctor of humanities on her in 1981.

Nancy and Bruce CochenerBruce Garvey Cochener (1944-2012), Ruth’s son, founded Computer Inc. (now KeyCentrix) in 1970 and co-founded InnVentures Inc. in 1982. In 1997, he joined CGF Industries Inc. and served as president, chief executive officer and chairman of the board. He was a philanthropist and a trustee for the Washburn University Foundation. He is pictured at left with his wife, Nancy.

The list of Garvey-related scholarships at Washburn is long and includes the Garvey Competitive Scholarship, Washburn’s most distinguished competitive scholarship, established in 1960.

Harshbarger

William Asbury HarshbargerWilliam Asbury Harshbarger, bs 1893, and Lucy Platt Harshbarger had lengthy ties to the Washburn community. William taught 51 years, the longest serving professor at Washburn to date. He came to Washburn in 1890 as both a teacher in the preparatory school and a student in the College. He joined the College faculty in 1893 and taught zoology and botany until 1895, when he became head of the mathematics department. A football enthusiast injured while playing on the Washburn team, he wrote the first football rules used in the old Kansas Conference. In 1898, he served with Washburn students during the Spanish-American War. He took part in the first natural history survey of Kansas and contributed approximately 6 percent of the plant specimens in Washburn’s herbarium. Washburn conferred an honorary doctor of science on him in 1919.

Lucy Platt HarshbargerLucy was an accomplished pianist and taught private lessons throughout her life. She composed the music for the Washburn alma mater while studying music at Washburn and taught harmony at the College for one year.

Hindman

Duffie Albert HindmanDuffie Albert Hindman (1900-1987), jd 1924, willed Washburn University his entire estate of stocks, bonds, real estate and oil properties, which at that time was the largest gift given to Washburn. The Duffie and Pauline Hindman Scholarship Fund, created in 1989 in memory of Hindman and his wife, Pauline (Fleckinger) Hindman, who died in 1976, has enabled more than 85 high school students from Rooks County (Kan.) to attend Washburn University, and a portion of the fund supports the Washburn University School of Law.

Pauline HindmanHindman retired in 1983 after almost 60 years of practicing law in the Rooks County towns of Plainsville and Stockton. He served as Rooks County attorney 1926-36 and ran unsuccessfully for the state legislature in the 1930s. In 1985, he was made an honorary lifetime member of the Washburn baseball team, on which he played as a student. He was awarded the Washburn University School of Law Distinguished Service Award in 1970.

McIntosh/Adrian

Evelyn Ford McIntosh and Daniel Elton McIntoshDaniel Elton McIntosh Sr. (1888-1964) and Evelyn Ford (1889-1974) married in 1914, a year after Elton graduated from Washburn, and began a family of what is currently four generations of Washburn graduates and three generations of Washburn University School of Law graduates. Elton had a long career as president and then chairman of Peoples National Bank in Clay Center, Kan. Evelyn attended Washburn 1910-13. All three of the couple’s children also attended Washburn: William Ford, Mary Evelyn and Daniel Elton Jr.

Mary Evelyn (1923-2008), ba 1945, married Orville Anderson (1922-98), who attended Washburn. Their daughter, Kathy Anderson Baxter, also attended Washburn.

Bessie Mae Wills McIntosh and D. Elton McIntosh, Jr.Daniel Elton Jr. (1919-2001) served 30 years as president of Peoples National Bank. He met his wife, Bessie Mae Wills McIntosh (1916-2008), ba 1938, jd 1940, while attending Washburn. He had a 50-year career in banking, retiring in 1988 as chairman of the board of Peoples National Bank. Bessie was one of four females in her law school class. She worked as an attorney for the FBI in Washington, D.C., as supervisor in charge of the legislative section, tracking and evaluating bills introduced in Congress and actions by the U.S. Supreme Court for possible FBI repercussions. Both served as trustees of the Washburn Endowment Association, now the Washburn University Foundation. They had three daughters: Mary, Sue and Ann.

Mary married Philip Shull, ba 1968, and they had a son, Andrew, jd 2002.

Sue married Jim Fawcett, ba 1973, and they had a son, Todd, bs 1999.

Ann McIntosh Adrian and Thomas AdrianAnn, b ed 1967, and Thomas Adrian, bba 1966, jd 1969, met while students at Washburn. Ann retired after 20 years as coordinator of gifted education in the Newton, Kan., school district. She is a past president of the Washburn Alumni Association and serves on the Washburn University Foundation board of directors. Thomas is a partner in the law firm of Adrian and Pankratz in Newton. Their daughter, Lisa, jd 1994, is married to Boyd McPherson, jd 1992.

Menninger

Charles Frederick and Florence Vesta Kinsley MenningerCharles Frederick Menninger (1862-1952) and Florence Vesta Kinsley Menninger (1863-1945) were the parents of Karl, William and Edwin. With their father, Karl and William founded the internationally famous Menninger Clinic and Menninger Foundation in Topeka.

Karl Augustus Menninger

Karl (1893-1990) attended Washburn for two years and graduated from Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass., in 1917. He returned to Topeka and began practicing medicine with his father. He was instrumental in establishing the Winter VA Hospital in Topeka, now the Colmery-O’Neil VA Medical Center, and the Karl Menninger School of Psychiatry. He received many major awards, including the Medal of Freedom, the United States’ highest civilian honor, from President Jimmy Carter.

William MenningerWilliam (1899-1966), ba 1919, graduated from Cornell University College of Medicine, New York, N.Y., in 1924 and then studied psychiatry at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Washington, D.C. In 1927, he returned to Topeka and joined his father and brother, Karl, in their medical practice. He was featured on the cover of the Oct. 25, 1948, TIME magazine. William had three sons who continued the family legacy: Roy, Philip and Walt. Roy and Walt became staff psychiatrists, while Philip, bba 1956, served as an administrator. Roy also attended Washburn.

Edwin MenningerEdwin (1896-1995), ba 1916, studied journalism at Washburn and also graduated from the Columbia University Pulitzer School of Journalism, New York, N.Y. In 1922, he bought a newspaper in Florida and devoted his energies to horticulture, particularly flowering trees. He served on the board of the Menninger Foundation.

Many family members have attended or graduated from Washburn, including Ann Menninger Johnson, ba 1980; Ann Maureen Menninger Cain, bs 1985; Beverly Miller Menninger, ba 1974; Frederick P. Menninger, bs 1994; Karl A. Menninger II, jd 1975; Rosemary Jeanetta Menninger, ba 1984 and bfa 1985; and Mary Lynn Menninger-Corder, bsn 1979. Mary Lynn is an assistant professor in the Washburn University School of Nursing.

Philip MenningerThrough the years, Washburn was supported by and benefitted from the contributions of members of the Menninger family. Charles taught physiologic and pathologic chemistry and dietetics at the Kansas Medical College, then a part of Washburn College. Karl taught at Washburn and developed some of the first courses in the nation in abnormal psychology, criminology and mental hygiene. Roy and Walt served many years as adjunct faculty members.

Washburn presented both Karl and William with Alumni Distinguished Service Awards in 1954 and conferred both with an honorary doctor of science in 1949. Edwin received a Washburn Alumni Distinguished Service Award in 1956 and was conferred with an honorary doctor of science in 1981. Washburn conferred an honorary doctor of science on Walt in 1982. Karl received the Washburn University School of Law Alumni Honorary Life Membership Award in 1964.

* Pictures of Charles and Florence (top left), Philip (just above, left), Roy (bellow right) and Walt (bellow left) provided by the Kansas Historical Society.

Walt Menninger

 Roy Menninger

Monroe

Lila Day MonroeLilla Day Monroe (1859-1929) studied law in her husband’s WaKeeney office and was among the first women admitted to practice law in the Kansas District Court (1894) and the Kansas Supreme Court (1895).  

The Monroe family moved to Topeka in 1902. As president of the Kansas Equal Suffrage Association, Monroe led the 1912 campaign that granted women the right to vote in Kansas. Her home across from the State Capitol served as the gathering place for women’s forces, and she spent 27 years lobbying the Kansas legislature for welfare measures, child labor laws, fair employment and hygiene legislation. She also founded three clubs and two magazines to inform women about legal, legislative and community issues. She supported the Topeka lawyers’ campaign to establish a law school at Washburn where her husband, Judge Lee Monroe, became a lecturer on legal issues regarding irrigation and public lands. 

Lenore Monroe StrattonIn the 1920s, she launched dual projects to recognize the contributions women had made to the settlement of Kansas. Monroe solicited 800 reminiscences from women who had been early pioneers, and she campaigned to have the statue of a pioneer mother erected on the Statehouse grounds. After her death in 1929, her daughter, Lenore Monroe Stratton, catalogued and annotated the memoirs. Years later, Monroe’s great-granddaughter wrote a history of the Kansas frontier based on excerpts from several hundred stories. Joanna L. Stratton’s book, Pioneer Women: Voices from the Kansas Frontier, was published in 1981. The entire Lilla Day Monroe Collection of Pioneer Stories is housed at the Kansas State Historical Society.

The Monroes’ four children all graduated from Washburn: Cyrus, jd 1912; Lenore, ba 1906; Day, bs 1908; and Cynthia, ba 1920. In 1958, she received the Washburn Alumni Distinguished Service Award, and in 1974, the Washburn Alumni Association established the Lilla Day Monroe Award in her honor.

Day MonroeDay (1888-1982) served as chief of the Family Economics Division and assistant chief of the Bureau of Human Nutrition and Home Economics in the U.S. Department of Agriculture. She studied at the Sorbonne in Paris, France, and at Columbia University, New York, N.Y. She received her doctorate from the University of Chicago and taught at Columbia University, New York, N.Y.; Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.; and the University of Washington. She served with the American Red Cross in France during World War II. In 1964, Washburn conferred on her an honorary doctor of science.

* The photo of Lila Day Monroe, top, has been provided by the Kansas Historical Society. Lenore Monroe Stratton is featured on the right and Day Monroe is pictured at left.

Mulvane/Morgan

Joab MulvaneJoab Mulvane (1837-1929) was one of the most successful Kansans of his time. In 1922, he donated $50,000 to Washburn to build the Mulvane Art Museum, which opened in 1924. Arriving in Topeka in 1868, he became active in railroad construction in the pioneer days of the Santa Fe railroad, working to secure right of way and bond issues to complete major lines in Kansas. He founded numerous businesses, including the Kansas Salt Co. and American Cement Plaster. Mulvane was president of the Chicago, Kansas and Western Railroad and a director of the Bank of Topeka.

John H. MulvaneWith his brother, John H. Mulvane, he established Topeka’s early utility projects. John was also a successful businessman. He owned cattle and land, was president of the Bank of Topeka and served on the Washburn College board of trustees. The Mulvane family’s involvement in the museum continues today with Carol Jory, the great-granddaughter of Joab, who is an honorary member of the Friends of the Mulvane board of directors.

Margaret Mulvane Morgan (1868-1942), Joab’s daughter, attended Washburn and graduated from Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). She was the wife of Harrison S. Morgan (1867-1953), a Topeka financier and director of the National Bank of Topeka. He donated $240,000 to Washburn to construct Margaret Mulvane Morgan Hall in her memory. His will included an additional $200,000 toward the building, which opened in 1955. He also left a $100,000 bequest for Washburn’s art program and the Mulvane Art Museum.

Margaret Mulvane MorganHarrison Morgan

Richey

Florence Kane Richey and Ronald RicheyRonald Richey (1926-2010), ba 1949, jd 1951, was a leader in the life and health insurance industry as chairman and chief executive officer of the Globe Life and Accident Insurance Co. In 1982, he was named president of Torchmark Corp., retiring in 1998 as chief executive officer and in 2002 as chairman of the board of directors. The Topeka Capital-Journal named him a 1987 Kansan of Distinction in business. In 1990, he was named Finance Industry CEO of the Year by Financial World magazine. He served as trustee of the Washburn University Foundation and as a member of the Washburn University School of Law board of governors. He received an Alumni Distinguished Service Award from Washburn in 1983 and a Distinguished Service Award from Washburn University School of Law in 1992. In 1989, Washburn conferred an honorary doctor of commerce on him.

Richey and his wife, Florence Kane Richey, ba 1949, were benefactors of Washburn, supporting many major building projects and scholarship programs, including the School of Law Foundation and the law library addition. They established the Richey Scholar Program at Washburn and made a significant gift to restore and renovate the Phi Delta Theta fraternity house. The Richeys had three children: Robert, Christopher and Linda Richey Graves, jd 1978.

Ritchie

Col. John Ritchie - Kansas Historical SocietyCol. John Ritchie (1817-1887) gave the land for Washburn’s first location in Topeka, at 10th Street and Jackson Avenue, and mortgaged his home to raise money to buy the quarter section he gave for Washburn’s present location. A member of the First Congregational Church and a community leader, he was an abolitionist and aided fugitive slaves in the Underground Railroad. During the Civil War, Ritchie served in the Union Army, as colonel of the Fifth Kansas Cavalry Regiment and as colonel of the Second Indian Home Guards Regiment. He was brevetted a brigadier general in 1865.

He and his wife, Mary Jane Shelledy Ritchie (1821-1880), had two surviving sons: Hale (1851-1920) and John (1856-1926). Hale, who attended the Washburn Preparatory School, was a lime merchant and a City Council member. John was a brickpaving contractor.

Several descendants of John and Mary attended Washburn College or Academy but did not graduate: Oliver Ritchie, 1901-02; Hale Thompson Ritchie, grandson, 1906; Mary Margaret Wright Ritchie, granddaughter, 1907; Betty Jean Wright Leach, great-granddaughter, 1940-43; Richard Wright, great-grandson, 1936-40; Otis Keitel, grandson, 1936-37; and John Keitel, grandson, 1937-38.

Margaret Wright MaxwellTwo graduated from Washburn: Frank, son of Hale, bs 1903, and Margaret Wright Maxwell, great-granddaughter of John and Mary, ba 1935. Margaret (1913-2007) was a college professor for 40 years, teaching at New York University before joining the faculty at Finch College, New York City, N.Y., where she taught European history and government and established a women’s studies program. She was a respected editor and author of French and Russian history and a translator of Russian history and poetry. Washburn conferred an honorary doctor of literature on her in 2005. Her husband, Bertram Maxwell, taught history and political science at Washburn 1923-42.

*The photo of Col. John Ritchie, top, was provided by Kansas Hisotrical Society.

Scott and Bledsoe

Elisha Scott Sr, - Kansas Historical SocietyElisha Scott Sr. (1890-1963), jd 1916, was the only African-American in his graduating class and the third African-American to graduate from the Washburn University School of Law. During his more than 40-year career, he argued civil rights and school desegregation cases throughout Kansas and the Midwest. His three sons all graduated from Washburn and pursued legal careers: Elisha Jr., ba 1940 and jd 1942; John Jefferson, ba 1942 and jd 1947; and Charles Sheldon Sr., ba 1943 and jd 1948.

John ScottJohn (1919-1984) and Charles (1921-1989) helped file the Brown v. Board of Education case in the U.S. District Court of Kansas and represented the Kansas case before the U.S. Supreme Court when it was consolidated with several others. John later moved to Washington, D.C., where he retired after 30 years as assistant solicitor for the Department of the Interior.

Charles Scott, Sr.Charles Sr. was a respected civil rights leader with a long legal career in Topeka. In 1965, he was a volunteer representative for civil rights workers in Mississippi, and his law firm represented the Congress of Racial Equality in the 1960s. He served 1972-75 as general counsel for the Kansas Commission on Civil Rights and as hearing examiner until his death. Both John and Charles received the Washburn University School of Law Lifetime Achievement Award in 2008. John was married to Berdyne Davis Anderson, ba 1950.

Charles BledsoeCharles Edward Bledsoe, who also helped file the Brown v. Board of Education case, attended Washburn Law 1931-37. He passed the bar exam in 1937 and practiced with Elisha and his sons in the law firm of Scott, Scott and Scott. Bledsoe was active in the NAACP and chairman of the legal committee of the association’s Topeka branch.

* The photo of Elisha Scott Sr, left, provided by the Kansas Historical Society.

 

Storrs/Gaw

Lillian StorrsRev. Sylvester Dana Storrs (1820-1896) and his wife, Fannie, came to Kansas from Massachusetts in 1857. Rev. Storrs, a graduate of Dartmouth College, Hanover, N.H., and Andover (Mass.) Theological Seminary, founded numerous Congregational churches in northeast Kansas. He was on the original Lincoln College board of trustees 1865-67 and Washburn College board of trustees 1878-93. They had four children: Lillian, Herbert, Frances and Willis.

Frances GawLillian “Lily” (1860-1926) attended the preparatory school and the college 1878-1881 and then taught French and German at Washburn 1885-1889. Lily also founded the Topeka Music Study Club and held several positions at Central Congregational Church. She married Ralph Gaw (1863-1927), who attended Washburn Preparatory School and College 1880-84 and was later a student in the law school. Ralph was admitted to the bar in 1897, established Hazen & Gaw legal firm in 1904 and later served as Shawnee County attorney. Their daughter Frances Gaw, ba 1919, was a city planner in Kansas City, Mo.

Herbert was an 1886 graduate of the preparatory school.

Frances Storrs JohnstonFrances (1868-1953), author of the first verse and chorus of Washburn’s alma mater, graduated from the Washburn Preparatory School in 1885, from Washburn College in 1892 and from Kansas Medical College, a part of Washburn College, in 1893. She and a classmate were the first two females to graduate from the medical school. Frances established a private practice in Topeka and taught surgery and gynecology at Kansas Medical College. She married James Johnston and moved to Scotland, where she was secretary of the Edinburgh Hospital for Women and Children and organized the Maternity and Infant Welfare Service.

Willis (1870-1925) attended Washburn preparatory school and college 1887-1893 and earned a medical degree from Kansas Medical College in 1895. He established a private practice in Topeka and was a surgeon at St. Francis Hospital.

Sweet

Timothy Bailey SweetTimothy Bailey Sweet (1841-1918) and Annie Brown Sweet (1845-1910) were civic leaders. Timothy established several companies and served on boards, including as a Washburn College trustee. Annie served in the Topeka branch of the Women’s Foreign Missionary Society and Young Women’s Christian Association. They had four children: Susie, Paul, Mary and Annie.

Susie (1874-1954) finished high school at Washburn Academy in 1892 and attended Washburn College for three years before graduating from Goucher College, Baltimore, Md. She made a scholarship bequest to the Sweet Foundation.

Paul Sweet - Kansas Historical SocietyPaul (1881-1951), ba 1902, managed the Crawford Building and the Jayhawk Hotel and was director of the First National Bank of Topeka. He served as a Washburn College trustee and was on the first board of regents in 1941.

His sisters created the Sweet Foundation for scholarships in his memory. Mary (1878-1964) attended Washburn for two years and graduated from the University of Kansas. She traveled extensively and taught school in Italy and Seattle, Wash. She established the Sweet Summer Sabbatical Foundation in 1955 to fund faculty travel and research.Mary Sweet

Annie (1882-1969), ba 1905, founded Beta sorority, which became an Alpha Phi chapter in 1916. She taught in Topeka public schools, worked with the YWCA in France during World War I and served on the Washburn College board of trustees. Washburn honored her with an Alumni Distinguished Service Award in 1955 and conferred an honorary doctor of law on her in 1957.

* Pictures of Paul Sweet, above right, and Mary Sweet, left, provided by Kansas Historical Society.

Annie Sweet

Vogel/Lyon

Richard G. VogelRichard G. Vogel (1909-1998) served 1939-74 as Washburn’s vice president for financial affairs and treasurer, helping maintain its solvency as Washburn transitioned to a municipal university in the early 1940s and then recovered from the 1966 tornado. He served until 1988 as treasurer and secretary of the Washburn College board of trustees. He earned a bachelor’s degree from Kansas State University and a master’s of business administration degree from the University of Kansas. Washburn honored him with the First Centennial Citation Award in 1965 and the Alumni Distinguished Service Award in 1992.  Washburn conferred an honorary doctor of business administration on him in 1976. His son, Richard “Jim,” ba 1967, bba 1977, is retired and self employed and married to Carol Lyon Vogel, ba 1967. His daughter, Virginia Vogel Wallace, is a longtime adjunct faculty member in the department of music.

Fred LyonFred F. Lyon (1906-1947), ba 1929, and Alice Van Petten Lyon (1909-2007), ba 1929, married in 1929. Fred was a high school chemistry and physics teacher and football coach in Oklahoma before joining the Army Air Corps and serving as director of a flight training school in Texas. Alice Van Petten LyonIn 1945, he moved his family to Topeka and headed the truck division for Mosby Mack Motors. Alice opened her home to more than 100 students across a span of 60 years and held positions in Kappa Alpha Theta, Nonoso, Delta Kappa Gamma and First United Methodist Church. The Lyons’ three children all graduated from Washburn: Barbara Lyon Johnson, ba 1951; Phillip, ba 1958; and Carol.

Carol Lyon VogelCarol was director of the equal opportunity office, serving 1974-2013, and also taught German for 41 years. She received Washburn’s Herrick Faculty Award for Outstanding Service in 2008, the Lilla Day Monroe Award in 2002 and the Alumni Distinguished Service Award in 2013.Richard She is married to Richard "Jim" Vogel, pictured at right.

Fred and Alice had four granddaughters who attended Washburn: Lynne Johnson Tsuda, ba 1980, and Carol Johnson van Ahlers, ba 1981, daughters of Barbara Lyon; and Deborah Lyon Beattie, ba 1987, and Jennifer Lyon Stadler, ba 1990, daughters of Philip. Two great grandchildren, Kayla Stadler and Bryan Stadler, are currently enrolled at Washburn.

Whiting

Albe Burge WhittingAlbe Burge Whiting (1835-1928) was a businessman and philanthropist who served 51 years on the Washburn College board of trustees, now the Washburn University Foundation, and was a member of the executive committee. Whiting Field House was named in his honor in 1930. In 1907, Whiting and his wife, Kate Whitney Whiting (d. 1907), desiring to donate something of lasting benefit, purchased 160 acres of land, which established the Mt. Hope Cemetery as a 1,000 year endowment, with one-half of the profits to go to Washburn and the other half to the Topeka YWCA and YMCA. Whiting came to Kansas as a pioneer farmer, staking out a farm 15 miles north of Ft. Riley, at that time the farthest western outpost on the Kansas plains. Ten years later, he played an important role in founding the town of Milford. He moved with his family to Topeka in 1877.

Kate Whitney Whitting - Kansas Historical SocietyAlbe was survived by a son and three daughters: Harris, Mary Whiting King, Lillie Whiting Shirer and Katherine Whiting Hand, who served at Washburn 1891-92 as an instructor in drawing and painting. In addition to the Whiting children’s attendance at the Washburn Academy and the College, many of Albe’s grandchildren also attended Washburn, including Anna Popenoe, 1908; Lyman King, 1921; Hampton F. Shirer, 1916, who received an Alumni Distinguished Service Award from Washburn in 1971 for his artistic contributions, including the design and construction of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C.; and Katherine Hand, 1917, who served in China as a Presbyterian missionary at the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor. She was interned by the Japanese in the mountains at Baguio, north of Manila, and then was transferred to Bilibid Prison. She was rescued in 1946 and later returned to China. Hampton’s wife, Pauline Haynes Shirer, attended Washburn and gave the University several of her paintings, one of which is of the Washburn president’s home on Shadow Lane. Their son, Hampton Whiting, bs 1945, married Viola Nelson, ba 1946.

* Photo of Kate Whitney Whiting provided by Kansas Historical Society

Whittemore

Luther Denny WhittemoreLuther Denny Whittemore (1858-1944) was a Kansas educator for 50 years. He served from 1884-98 at Washburn as professor of Latin. He was the assistant state superintendent of education 1911-19 and served as secretary of the Kansas State Board of Education 1915-19. In 1920, he returned to Washburn as registrar and professor of education until his retirement in 1937. He received a bachelor’s degree in 1880 and a master’s degree in 1885 from Amherst (Mass.) College. Washburn conferred an honorary doctor of literature on him in 1905. 

His wife, Frances Dean Davis (1857-1951), was an assistant professor of art at Washburn. In 1913, she became director of the fine art department, retiring in 1929. She organized the Topeka Art Guild and was instrumental in establishing the Mulvane Art Museum, serving as director 1924-29. They had three children: Laurens, ba 1914, Martha, ba 1917, and Margaret, ba 1919.

Frances Davis WittemoreLaurens graduated in 1915 with a master’s degree from the University of Kansas, where he taught physics 1915-17. He worked as a radio expert at the Bureau of Standards in Washington, D.C., and became a radio engineer in 1928. He worked for AT&T in New York City until his retirement. He was on the board of directors and a fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. He wrote several publications, including the Lefax Radio Handbook.

Margaret studied at the Art Institute of Chicago 1920-23 and at Taos (N.M.) Art Colony. She was a member of the Prairie Print Makers formed by Birger Sandzen and taught at Bethany College, Lindsborg, Kan., and the University of Kansas. She illustrated books for other authors and wrote and illustrated her own.  Sketchbook of Kansas Landmarks (1936), her first book, featured drawings and descriptions of historically significant landmarks like the Capitol, missions, old trails, homes, bridges and trees.