Getting Started with Office 365
Getting Started Checklist
- Login to your computer using your email address (email@example.com) and WUAD pasword (the one you usually log into your computer with)
- Outlook Web App is at http://outlook.washburn.edu
- Login using your email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and WUAD password (the one you log into your computer with)
- If you logged into your computer with your email address and are accessing Outlook Web App in Internet Explorer then your login information will be passed automatically after you enter your email address
- If you are using a different email program, when setting it up with the new system you can usually utilize the autodiscover feature
- If autodiscover doesn't work, use the following settings:
|Server name: outlook.office365.com
|Encryption method: SSL
|Server name: smtp.office365.com
|Encryption method: SSL
- It may take to 24 hours after migration begins to complete the final sync of all mail.
- Some recent mail will be noticeably missing during migration – we perform a sync to transfer the bulk of your e-mail at an earlier time; we then run another incremental sync after migration to capture mail received between the two events. There may be a significant delay if we are processing a number of users.
- Client e-mail filters or mail processing rules from Thunderbird or other clients will have to be re-created, they can’t be migrated. These will be implemented as rules on Office 365. Right-click on an e-mail to create a new rule.
- Rules created in the web client run server-side. Rules created in the Outlook desktop application run client side and will only be applied when Outlook is started or while it is running.
- Read-receipts are blocked until the campus migration is complete.
- At this stage, Lync, Calendar, Skydrive, and Sharepoint are available along with Outlook on Office 365, however our priority is on email and we may not be able to effectively support the other services right away. We may also need to make changes to them as we proceed. We don’t want to discourage experimenting with them, but be aware that you use them at your own risk.
- Issues will crop up, report them to email@example.com.
Recommended Clients and Applications
Microsoft Windows Systems
- Office 365 University (Office 2013 for personally owned devices) is available to faculty and staff for $80 for a 4-year subscription from the Bookstore (note that this does not include Lync Pro 2013)
- Lync Basic 2013 is freely available for personal use from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35451
- Office 365 may direct you to a Lync Professional 2013 download – Do not install that, it cannot be licensed for personal or work use under our agreements (Lync Professional 2013 is available for university-owned systems with our campus license, but must use a different installer)
- Outlook for Mac will be used on campus
- Mac Mail or Outlook 2011 (or higher) is the recommended e-mail and calendar client off campus
- Mac Mail will automatically query Office 365 just like Outlook on Windows. No manual settings are needed.
- Disable Junk filtering in Preferences
- On advanced settings set "Keep copies of messages for offline viewing" set to "All messages, but omit attachments". Very important for Network Homes especially
- During the setup process Mac Mail will setup the link for Contacts
- During the setup process Mac Mail will setup the link for Calendar
- Use the system mail app or 3rd-party mail app using Exchange configuration
- Outlook.com app will authenticate but does not work with Office 365 at this time
- Lync 2013 for Android
- Some devices may drop video calls on connection, confirmed for HTC Evo 4G LTE only at this time
iOS Devices (iPhones, iPods, iPads)
- Set up using Mail, Contacts, Calendars as Exchange
- Enter full Washburn email address and WUAD password
- System will connect and confirm items to be set up (i.e. email, calendar, contacts, etc.)
- Setup the account as an Outlook account, input email address and password. It will automatically setup and offer to install Lync if not already installed. All items are automatically configured (Email, Contacts, Calendar, SkyDrive Pro, Lync)