Types of Aid


Federal Pell Grant  

A need-based grant program for undergraduate students who have not earned a first Bachelor’s degree. Awards are determined by a student’s enrollment status and Expected Family Contributions (EFC).  It is a grant and does not have to be repaid. (Always available to students who are eligible.)


Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

A need-based grant program for students with exceptional financial need that gives priority to students that are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant and have not obtained their first Bachelor’s degree. Awards range from $200-$800. It is a grant and does not have to be repaid. (Based on priority date of February 15th and availability of funds.)


Kansas Comprehensive Grant (KCG)  

The Kansas Comprehensive Grant is available to needy Kansas residents enrolled full-time at eighteen private colleges and universities located in Kansas, the six state universities, and Washburn University. To be considered you must complete and submit the FAFSA, listing one or more eligible colleges in the FAFSA. This grant is funded by the State of Kansas and provides limited assistance to financially needy students.


Federal TEACH Grants  

Through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, Congress created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program that provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. If, after reading all of the information on this fact sheet, you are interested in learning more about the TEACH Grant Program, you should contact the financial aid office at the college where you will be enrolled. 

Complete the FAFSA

To apply for grants, please complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)and utilize Washburn University's school code of 001949.


Better understand your options for paying for college. Use the FAFSA4caster to estimate your eligibility for federal student aid.