Alumni Association scholarships
Established in 1944, the Alumni Association scholarship fund has generated revenue for hundreds of Washburn students.
For the 2012-13 academic year, 83 students will receive more than $29,000 in scholarships. Special consideration is given to children of alumni, returning alumni and students who are members of the Washburn Alumni Association.
Applicants must be Washburn alumni or a legacy student. If the applicant is a current Washburn student, he/she must be a dues paid student member of the Alumni Association, which is $10 per year.
The application deadline was Feb. 15, 2013. Awards will be announced via mail by May 4, 2013.
Note: Filing for assistance through Washburn’s Financial Aid Office does not constitute your application for an Alumni Association scholarship. You must file a separate online application through the Alumni Association.
- Applicants must be Washburn alumni or Washburn legacies. What is a legacy? An applicant is a legacy if he/she has a parent(s), sibling(s) or spouse who is either a graduate of or is attending Washburn University or Washburn Institute of Technology (Washburn Tech).
- If applicant is a Washburn graduate, he/she must be a current dues paid member of the Alumni Association.
- If applicant is a legacy student, his/her alumni parent(s), sibling(s) or spouse must be a current dues paid member of the Alumni Association.
- If applicant is a current Washburn University student, he/she must be a current dues paid student member of the Alumni Association. Student membership rate is $10 per year. Washburn Tech students are not required to be student members of the Alumni Association.
- College applicants must be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours at Washburn University and have a minimum cumulative college GPA of 2.5.
- High school applicants must plan on enrolling at Washburn University or Washburn Tech for the fall 2013 semester and have a minimum high school GPA of 2.75.
- Applicants must complete and submit the alumni ccholarship online application by Feb. 15.
- In addition to the online application, you must provide the following to the Alumni Association:
- A biographical statement that includes your educational background, financial need, a statement of goals and objectives for obtaining a college degree or technical certification and other pertinent information (250 or fewer words).
- A copy of your transcript from one of the following: Washburn University, Washburn Tech, the college or university from which you are transferring or the high school from which you will graduate if you are a freshman about to enter Washburn. If you have completed a semester or more at Washburn, you can use my.washburn.edu to get a copy of your Washburn transcript.
More about scholarships
- Scholarships will be disbursed in two payments: one in fall 2013 and one in spring 2014. A portion of the scholarship may be used for summer 2013.
- Undergraduate students, graduate students, international students, part-time and full-time students and first-year School of Law students who meet the criteria may apply.
- License plates: Purchase a Washburn Ichabod license plate. The proceeds help fund our scholarship program.
Giving back to Washburn
- LinC: Learning in the Community is one of the signature service organizations at Washburn. LinC works with organizations and agencies throughout the community and state and is quick to lend support in times of need such as the Harveyville, Reading and Joplin tornadoes.