BBA Degree with Emphasis in Finance
The finance curriculum is designed to prepare students for careers in corporate financial management, commercial banking, security analysis, government services, insurance, real estate, and other finance fields and for graduate study. Students are encouraged to meet with faculty advisors as early as possible in order to plan a program which will satisfactorily fulfill their goals.
Learning objectives for the finance concentration:
- Demonstrate an understanding of interest rate determination and monetary policy;
- Demonstrate an understanding of agency issues in finance;
- Calculate and apply present value concepts to financial decisions;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the risk-return tradeoff and of insurable risk; and
- Analyze accounting information to support financial decisions.
The following courses are required for a major in finance:
- BU374 Principles of Risk and Insurance or BU484 Applied Portfolio Management
- BU483 Investments
- BU488 Financial Management
- EC485 Money and Banking
- Twelve additional upper division elective hours in accounting, business, or economics
Model Program Guide
Advising Worksheets for Finance
Freshman and students new to the School of Business should visit with Stacy Woltje initially for help in determining their degree track. Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors may choose a faculty member advisor.